Sunday, May 8, 2016

DIY Pallet Mirror Frame


\


I love my downstairs half bath, however I am always looking for ways to make it less "builder grade" and more, well, me.  So I decided my mirror needed charactah!

So in order to begin a pallet mirror frame, you need.....you guessed it!  A pallet!  My sister and brother-in-law gave me a few a few weeks ago and I have some projects in mind, this being one of them.  



 So first, I decided I really like this particular pallet because the wood was naturally more worn and distressed.  There were a few pieces of wood in this pallet that were of good size to use for a mirror frame so I decided to extract the "skinny" pieces.  This was, to put it nicely, not fun.  I pulled and twisted with a crowbar to remove the nails to free the boards I wanted. 


Then, the next natural step was to measure the perimeter of the mirror, so this ensued.


 After getting my measurements, I marked up the two long sides first.  I also thought it would seem more rustic if the pieces were straight rather than cut at a right angle like trim and mirrors tend to be.  Why do anything like everyone else?  Right?  ;)  I then proceeded to make all cuts with a handsaw.


After taping my long pieces to get a feel for it, I measured and cut my short pieces.  I then taped it all up to be sure everything fit snug.  Which, thank the Lord, it did!




 My next step was to load up the caulk gun with my Liquid Nails Heavy Duty adhesive.  This stuff is no joke, research carefully how to use.  In order to finally glue my pallet frame to the mirror, I untaped one piece at a time and carefully caulked a straight line down the middle of the piece.  I then carefully put it in place and held it for about thirty seconds.  After doing this to all pieces, I arranged them perfectly, as you can still move them after you apply with the Liquid Nails.


After all pieces were exactly where they should be, I duct taped them to death.  It takes Liquid Nails about 24 hours to completely dry, so I wanted to beat gravity at it's own game.  No way after all this work I was going to wake up to a frame that slid down the mirror.  :)


Voila!  The finished product!

Thanks for reading!

Peace, Balance, and Gratitude,

Lanna






1 comment: