Saturday, April 9, 2016

Shutter Repurposing

The Annoying Skinny Wall Solution!




So, I have this wall that I'm sure everyone can relate to.  The wall that is too skinny to put up a regular sized piece of decor, but too wide to not have any decor.  Tragic, I know!  So then this wall ends up sitting desolate in the guest bathroom for two years.  I walk by this wall everyday and today, I had the solution!  In my upstairs hallway, I have what used to be our headboard, five brown shutters all together, that I plan on making into a photo collage.  It looks like so....




Not much to look at right now, but it will be cute in the future!  I swear!

So I decide that, hey, I don't need all of those in the hallway.  One can come with me to fill in our skinny-wall-annoying spot.  So I take down one and begin glossing it over with my go to Annie Sloan Old White paint with a number 9 round-tip Artist Loft brush.


A lot of the time a project takes on a life of it's own and I just kind of follow it.  I started out thinking I would highlight the edges then didn't like the way that was going so just decided to do a whole coat!


I then had this.  Eh, not too exciting, but it was just one coat.  One coat of chalk paint is just enough to make you panic thinking that you have completely ruined your piece.  You have not, continue painting with no regret!  I did decide I wanted more contrast so I flipped up the shutters so they were brown and then did a dry brush with barely any paint on my brush on the tops.


I loved the way this was turning out.  Again, I was just kind of going with my gut as the project worked itself out.  So then, I hung it up!  So long skinny, annoying spot!


Still, it was cute, but needed more.  I love the purple in the painting next to it, so I decided to "tzuje" it up (the internet says that is spelled correctly so don't judge me, haha) with some purple flowers to make it pop.


Yes!   It just feels right!

Here she is in her spot and now the wall is desolate no more!



Thanks for reading!  I hoped you enjoyed!

Peace, Balance, and Gratitude,

Lanna

2 comments: