Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Decorating Corners

How To Decorate Your Corners!


Question:

How do I know which corners to decorate?

Answer:

The only corners of a room you should decorate are corners that are at a threshold and have enough space to stand a small table in, this is a good rule of thumb.   For example, I wouldn't just pick a corner out of any room and decorate it.  You should only decorate corners that have plenty of wall and floor space and that are at a threshold of two rooms.  I chose a large corner in my foyer between the foyer and the dining room as well as a large corner between my family room and kitchen.  The corner should sort of be a "dead space".  This means that it is absolutely out of the way of traffic.  

Question:

How do I go about decorating a corner?

Answer:

When decorating a corner, I like to decorate from eye level down,
 incorporate a small piece of furniture for some dimension, 
and have varying levels to make it interesting to the eye.

Question:

How do you hang your pictures in a cluster?

Answer:

When hanging pictures, always center over the piece 
of furniture, and always hang slightly above eye level or below.  
If you are hanging a picture below another, 
be sure they are not spaced very far apart, but far enough to 
cover a good amount of your space without going too low or too high.  
It is all about being symmetrical and even!


Example 1:


This is my foyer corner I decided to decorate because it is a place where
 no traffic will ever travel through, a large area, and the perfect space to display some cute decor to welcome guests!





I began decorating it by hanging
 the pictures at slightly above eye level and below in the center of the walls.  They followed the same color scheme, and as I have said before, once I have a color scheme, there is no stopping me!  
The coat rack I found in my mother's garage and she ever-so-graciously gave me.  The mirror was given to me by my older sister and my two other pictures where inherited from my grandmothers.  I love that all of these come from people I love.  


   After the pictures were hung, I knew I needed a small piece of furniture to find a home in this corner to give some dimension to the space.  I found this table at an estate sale for ten dollars and gave it a couple coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  You can never go wrong with Old White, just FYI.  I then framed the key my mother got my husband and I for our "first home" gift.  It is a decorative key with a cream ribbon and has our address and year we bought our house on it, I truly love it.  I set it against polka-dot burlap background and framed it.  I love doing unexpected things, like using a different background for the frame.
:)
 

Example 2:


This is perhaps my favorite corner in our house.  I found this door with this gorgeous glass knob at an antique store for....wait for it........ten dollars!!!  The chair I found at an estate sale for twenty-five dollars and I absolutely love the authenticity of this piece.  The pillow and wreath are from Joanne Fabric



Details of the "door" corner


Details make all the difference in any decorating you do.  This glass knob really gives this area the character that I love and that gives me that "homey" sense.  Hanging the wreath up was quite the project in itself.  If you would like more detail on anything in this post, let me know with a comment below!

Thanks so much for reading my post on how to decorate corners!
Hope you enjoyed!  

Peace, Balance, and Gratitude,

Lanna










1 comment:

  1. Love the corner door idea. So simple, but really adds to the decor.

    ReplyDelete