Saturday, April 16, 2016

Bedroom Makeover

Bedroom Makeover!


Here she is!


When we first looked at our house, one of the major selling features was the master bedroom.  We loved how large it was complete with an office and a master bathroom.  

However, there were a few things we weren't so sold on, they were as follows:

                 #1   The dark purple wall- really, did you need that dark of a                        purple wall?

                 #2   All the wood trim and doors- although good quality, 
                        I love white trim and doors, however the entire house was                      wood trim and doors, was it worth the undertaking?

                  #3   The sliding door between the office and bedroom 
                         that didn't work so well...

Here are the pictures; you can clearly see the differences we made!


The dark purple wall was number one on my list to cover.  We used a really beautiful color from Benjamin Moore called Stone Hearth.  This color is so warm and relaxing, and complements the green dressers.  It only took about four coats to finallllly cover the dreaded purple wall..ugh.  Painful, but WORTH IT!

So long, dreaded purple wall!!


You can see my husband and FIL also installed french doors where the sliding doors once were.  These doors were so much better quality and really made a HUGE difference to the look of the room.  What I think really made the biggest difference of this room and the rest of the house is the painting of the trim and doors to a semi-gloss white.  I will be doing a post on how I paint trim and doors very soon!  The white trim and doors really pop against the Benjamin Moore paint.










        My bed.....ahhhh...my bed.  I am completely obsessed with my bed.  My husband got me my dream bed last year for Valentine's Day.  It is the Coventry Sleigh bed by Riverside Furniture.  The bedding and bright throw pillows are Pier One.  The other larger throw pillows are from TJ Maxx, and the picture frames are from Michaels.

      These dressers were my parents for over twenty years.  I gave them new life with Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Boxwood.  Milk paint is another organic paint I use besides the chalk paint.  It has its pros and cons.  Cons include that it comes in powder form so you have to be sure you mix it up to the right consistency, and also the color can vary slightly.  For example, I used the Boxwood which is a dark green, and from clumps of blue and yellow powder I had a few streaks I had to even out.  It wasn't hard, but just FYI.  Pros include the fact that it completely distresses itself!  It just starts peeling off, but be careful if it is too slick of a surface, it will not stick at all.  I will talk more about my work with Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in a future post.


         

            The last part of the bedroom I'd like to share is the vanity area.  I got this desk which I re-purposed as a vanity from an estate sale for twenty-five dollars (major score!).  I am telling you, if you do not go estate sale shopping, you are missing out, my friends!  All the more for me, I suppose!  :)  The mirror and pictures were my mothers.  I hung them in a cluster, as I feel hanging in clusters at eye level really give your home a cozy sense of character.  I'm not going to lie, I was proud of this side of the room and how it came together!




Well, there it is!  My bedroom makeover!  Hope you enjoyed!
I will be posting soon about how we did the trim and door painting, as well as some examples of work with milk paint!  Thanks for reading!

Peace, Balance, and Gratitude,
Lanna




No comments:

Post a Comment