Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Towel Rack Makeover

Tired of Your Towel Rack?  Me Too!



If you are like me, you get bored with "builder grade" aspects of your home.  My bathroom is in major need of sprucing up and I am in the process of completely redoing it.  Right now, I am just getting some decor in there so I can feel out the color I want on the walls before rushing to a decision.  Lord knows, I don't want to have to paint more than once!

I was on Facebook yard sale, a frequently visited source of awesome things for cheap prices, and came across this shelf.  It was very cute and I knew it belonged with me.  I immediately thought it would be perfect to take place of the boring towel rack.  It was just plain wood, and it was a coarse wood, which is the perfect canvas for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

I thought I'd just paint it Old White, but I was wanting something different.  So I had a crazy idea...

Could I tint my chalk paint with acrylic paint?

I always have plenty of Old White on hand so I thought, "Hey!  It's worth a shot!"  So I began dripping it in my bowl of Old White, slowly, until I got the tint I wanted.  I decided on a light lavendar because it would compliment the decor already in the bathroom.



To my surprise it worked....PERFECTLY!  I was stoked!  So I painted away.......
One coat!


Two coats!


Now to sand my piece.  When I sand a piece, I use a 100 grit sandpaper and do it by hand around all the edges and heavy on the corners and curves of the piece to really accent these details.


You can see some of the detail in the piece after I completed sanding it, especially on the corners and on the curved edges...




So now the piece was ready and I was ready to TAKE DOWN THAT RACK!
So I took it down, removed all the screws and anchors, and hung my piece

LOOOOOVE!



Thanks so much for reading!  Hope you enjoyed my idea for how to replace your towel rack!  I will be continuing to add blogs about the face-lift my guest bathroom is receiving.

Peace, Love, and Gratitude,
Lanna







No comments:

Post a Comment